Galois, Inc., Dayton, OH
We are currently seeking Senior Research Engineers to play a pivotal role in fulfilling our mission to make critical systems trustworthy.
Galois tackles the hardest problems in computer science. Our mission is to assure trust in critical systems that protect the privacy and integrity of information in the real world. We are a team of researchers and engineers who enjoy the challenge of problems that have never been solved before and a community of people dedicated to creating trustworthiness in critical systems.
We are a community, not a hierarchy. We think about citizenship, not rules. We are employee-owned. We value the freedom to pursue our passions in and out of work. We operate from first principles rather than follow the crowd.
We believe in and value joy at work. This comes through pursuing deep trust, serving as stewards, learning and innovating, and creating space for you to be authentically you.
Research Engineers at Galois design and develop advanced technologies for safety- and security-critical systems, networks, and applications. Engineers work in small team settings and must successfully interact with clients, partners, and other employees in a highly cooperative, collaborative, and intellectually challenging environment.
Skills & Requirements
- Education– Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or Statistics. Ph.D. desired but optional.
- Required Technical Expertise
- Must have hands-on experience developing software and/or performing computer science research
- Must minimally possess expertise in one of the following:
- Cryptography or Quantum Computing
- Theory Of Machine Learning (especially deep and reinforcement learning)
- Numerical Analysis or High-Performance Computing
- Symbolic Computation or Solvers
- Dynamical Systems/ControlTheory
- Experience solving complex data problems
- Experience programming with Python and/or C/C ++
- Desired Technical Expertise– Fluency in one or more programming languages with emphasis on program correctness. Familiarity with the functional programming paradigm and formal methods is desirable but not required. Direct experience in developing high assurance systems and/or security products is desirable but not required.
- Required General Skills– Must work well with customers, including building rapport, identifying needs, and communicating with strong written, verbal, and presentation skills. Must be highly motivated and able to self-manage deadlines and meet quality goals expected by those customers.
- Additional Job Requirements
- Must have, and be able to retain, a Top Secret (TS) security clearance.
- The candidate must not require a U.S. government export license to authorize access to export-controlled technology and software required to perform this role.
At Galois, we specialize in researching and developing technologies that solve computer science’s most challenging problems, particularly working to guarantee the trustworthiness of systems where failure is unacceptable. Our organizational structure is collaborative and based on well-defined accountabilities and authorities, transparency, and stewardship principles. Project teams involve multiple engineers and researchers, likely including team members from academia, industry partners, and government agencies, and range from a few months to several years.
We aspire to provide employees with something that matters to them beyond just a paycheck—including opportunities to learn, career development, employee ownership, and a sense of community. In looking for the very best candidates, we celebrate differences, knowing that a team of varied backgrounds, perspectives, and skills will best deliver Company success. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
The candidate must not require a U.S. government export license to authorize access to export-controlled technology and software required to perform this role. The employee must be able to obtain and retain a Top Secret (TS) security clearance.