Hiring in: Portland, OR.
Galois tackles the hardest problems in computer science. We are a team of researchers and engineers who enjoy the challenge of problems that have never been solved before. Our mission is to assure trust in critical systems, including cryptosystems, that protect the privacy and integrity of information in the real world. We are currently seeking researchers to develop cryptographic techniques to assure this kind of information security for the last mile: during computation. The techniques we draw on include multi-party computation, homomorphic encryption, functional encryption, private information retrieval, program obfuscation, and zero-knowledge proofs.
Galois engineers participate in one or more projects concurrently, and specific roles vary greatly according to skills, interests, and company needs. Your role might include cryptographic research, prototype development, diving deep to understand what our clients’ requirements really mean, formally verifying key aspects of our prototypes, or project leadership. Research that leads to publication is highly encouraged, providing lots of opportunity for advancing the state of the art.
Skills & Requirements
- Education– Minimum of a MS in computer science or mathematics. PhD in CS or mathematics desired but optional.
- Required Technical Expertise
- Significant fundamental or applied research focus in cryptography, and in particular, secure computation.
- Demonstrated capability to take theoretical constructions and turn them into working implementations, and then optimize them toward practical use.
- A pragmatic understanding of building practical, performant systems that incorporate such advanced cryptosystems into a smoothly integrated whole that meets the needs of our clients.
- Required General Skills– Must work well with customers, including building rapport, identifying needs, and communicating with strong written, verbal, and presentation skills. Must be highly motivated and able to self-manage to deadlines and quality goals expected by those customers.
We’re looking for people who can invent, learn, think, and inspire. We reward creativity and thrive on collaboration. If you are interested, please submit your cover letter and resume to us.
More About Galois
At Galois, we maintain a unique organizational structure tailored to the needs of the innovative projects we deliver. Our organizational structure is collaborative, one-level flat, and based on principles of well-defined accountabilities and authorities, transparency, and stewardship. We aspire to provide employees with something that matters to them beyond just a paycheck — whether it be opportunities to learn, career growth, a sense of community, or whatever else brings them value as a person.
We believe in individual freedom in the roles we choose, and in the projects we pursue — our research focus areas are the intersection of staff interests and corporate strategy. We choose practices that best suit the project, team, and leaders, with company-wide standards kept to a minimum to ensure we are making the right choices for the situation rather than just business-as-usual choices.
For more on our organizational structure, visit Life at Galois.
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and resume to us via this link.
Position may include access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export control requirements under the ITAR or the EAR.